Team spirit is one of the pillars of success. Every successful person had the right team. The right team does not happen by luck or coincidence, it happens due to careful and positive team spirit. Team spirit is the feeling of pride and loyalty that exists among the members of a team. Team spirit is important in different social groups; at school, work, and church, even in the family.
“Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is success”- Henry Ford.
Some people say you can get things done without a team. Yes it is possible to do it on your own but it’s faster when you work with people. Moreover, in a competitive space, you need to work with people to achieve more. A writer once said, “We collaborate to compete…” Working with a team fosters unity, friendship and loyalty. Team work can encourage healthy work habits among employees in an organization and also encourage healthy environment in the school, church and at home.
Working together as a team also brings out the best in people. People have different talents, strengths, skills etc. that should be blended in a way that fosters creativity and enhances performance and productivity. Sometimes when we work with others we discover our endless potentials and abilities. We become more self-aware, hence, creating the desire or urge to be better. Read more
Team building is important in developing team spirit. Team building is various types of activities used to enhance social relations and define roles within teams. Team building motivates team members to perform better. Click here to read about team building skills.
“Individually, we are one drop. Together we are an ocean”.- Ryunosuke Satoro.
Team spirit: 5 Ways to Work better with a Team
- Be tolerant- Working with people is not seamless. No one said it will be easy. There will be disagreements and arguments but you have to be tolerant. You have to understand that you are not others. Don’t expect you from others. Other people might not act like you and most definitely not think like you. Respect their opinions and differences. Find common grounds and accept diversity. “Compromise to resolve…”
2. Do not condescend- Members of a team has different skills, potentials and talents. If you are more knowledgeable in some aspect than the other members of your team, do not patronize them. Do not act like you are superior or better than them. Remember it is all about team spirit, teach them and also be sure to learn from them.
3. Be accountable- It is important to be accountable for your behavior and decisions. You should not blame others when things go wrong. To be accountable is to be responsible. Members of your team should be able to trust you and depend on you to do what is right or what is expected of the team.
4. Be cooperative- Cooperation is the building block of every successful team. You have to be supportive of your team by working together with them. Be a team player; a team player is someone who actively contributes to their group in order to complete tasks, meet goals and manage projects.
“The strength of the team is each individual member. The strength of each member is the team”- Phil Jackson
5. Be focused- To work successfully with a team, you have to focus. You must have clear goals and objectives and your work should be dedicated to achieving those goals and objectives. Above all, be disciplined; you must be able to behave and work in a controlled way which involves obeying particular rules or standards. Self-management skills are helpful to developing yourself to be focused.